Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

expectations



I was going through some pictures and came across these photos of Lark I snapped one afternoon about six months ago. She was singing and dancing on my bed in the vintage tutu her sister once wore almost every day, and I remember thinking, "How does she fit into that already?" These little girls of mine are growing up before my eyes. 

When Lark was born I was expecting a carbon copy of LM to come out (or at least close to it), but when I held her for the first time she looked totally different with all of her own tiny features for me to memorize. And then when her hair finally grew in I was shocked and delighted that it was a beautiful red, just as I was shocked and delighted to discover LM had beautiful curls. 

As Lark has grown every aspect of her spunky and sweet personality has been so fun to watch unfold and compare against her sister. Not in any sort of competitive way, but just as us parents marveling at how our girls are their own little wonderful selves, and finding it funny that in most areas they are complete opposites. So different from each other and yet so alike. 

I can't help but wonder who is coming to join our family now. All of my expectations have been wiped clean since I now know we don't make carbon copy children. I do know we make pretty amazing ones though, and every day they make us smile and keep us on our toes.

I guess I am expecting to, yet again, be surprised.



No comments:

Post a Comment